I bought a 1965 Avion T-27! Getting it home and somewhere I could work on it was quite the adventure and required a LOT of work! Thanks to The Home Depot ProSpective for sponsoring this video and providing the tools.
If you’re interested in winning the tools I used, head over to Patreon.com/youcanmakethistoo become a Patron at any level, and submit your answer for this month’s contest! October 2019 is a Ryobi One+ Impact Wrench and the contest is submit a name for this trailer!
If you want a chance to win a t-shirt, leave your name recommendation as a comment and I’ll pick a winner at the end of the month!
Tools I used (affiliate links):
Ryobi One+ 3/8” Impact Wrench: bit.ly/ryobiwrench
Ryobi One+ Impact Driver bit.ly/19q3ryobidriver
Ridgid Octane 1/2” Impact Wrench: http://bit.ly/19q3RidgidWrench
Milwaukee 72″ REDSTICK Level: http://bit.ly/19q3MilwaukeeLevel Gorilla Grip Max Impact Gloves: http://bit.ly/19q3gloves
Dewalt 4lb Engineer Hammer: http://bit.ly/19q3DewaltHammer
5″ TAPCON: http://bit.ly/THDTapcon5
Husky 6 Ton Bottle Jack: http://bit.ly/THDHuskyJack
Twitter: https://twitter.com/YouCanMakeThis2 @YouCanMakeThis2
Music from Epidemicsound.com and AmpleTunes.com
#vintagecamper #thdprospective #ad
I was a little hesitant about pulling this vintage camper the 150 miles back to my house.
I checked tire pressure, aired up as needed, and used the Ridgid Octane Impact Wrench to make sure all of the lug nuts were tight. With that tool in my box, here’s to hoping I never use a tire iron again.
Some extra precautions I took were having my wife pull the trailer while I was outside watching and listening how everything moved, before we hit the road. I also stopped and checked everything after towing for about 10 minutes, and made sure to do so every hour.
The Dewalt Engineer Hammer was perfect for removing the pickets were that nailed on and blocking the screws that secured the panels to the posts. Then I used the Ryobi Impact Driver to remove the fence panels from the posts and set them aside.
Then the lane was clear to back the vintage camper into my back yard. Fortunately, my trailer backing skills hadn’t deteriorated as much as I had feared and it went back pretty easy.
With the trailer in place it was time to put the fence back together. I used the Ryobi Impact Driver to install some post cap brackets and then scab a 2×4 onto the side of the fence posts. They’re practically as strong as they were before I cut them in half.
Of the three posts I had to remove. One of them will have to be removed again to get the trailer back out. So instead of reattaching it to its base, I used TAPCONs to attach it to my brick wall. The Milwaukee level made sure my fence would be plumb when I attach the panel to it. Now when it’s time to pull this trailer out, I’ll only have to remove one fence panel and won’t touch any of the posts.
I used a Husky 6 ton bottle jack to raise the Avion so I could build up 8x8x16 concrete blocks under it until it was pretty close to level. At this point the vintage camper is solid and no longer rocking.
The Ryobi and Ridgid impact wrenches make quick work of removing the tires. I like the auto mode and brushless motor on the Ridgid, but the Ryobi uses more common 3/8” sockets. Some of the brake shoes were rubbing and the suspension seems locked up. When I dig into more I’ll find out if they can be repaired or if I just need to replace everything down there.
And now I can finally get to the part I’d really been looking forward to, cleaning out the camper and getting a good look around. It had been partially gutted so there was a lot of debris laying around. There were also some remnants from the last people who lived in the trailer and some of the critters that had moved in since. Let’s just say I was happy to have some good gloves on.
And with all that work done, I can start to get to the real work of renovating this vintage Avion camper!